Another Saturday goes by, with another one to look forward to next week. So far the college football season has not disappointed. There have been a few games that have come down to the very end, along with some shocking upsets. I have always been a huge fan of SEC football even though I have lived most of my life in Utah. The reason is the intensity in the stadium, the fans are standing and yelling the whole game, it is always so loud and a lot of the games come down to the final minute. South Carolina and Georgia duked it out last night with Georgia getting to celebrate a red zone stand against the South Carolina offense and winning 41-37.
The teams that are handling expectations are Florida, Texas, USC, and Alabama, all have been impressive in some sort of a way. The teams that have surprised me the most are Houston and BYU. BYU it is easy to see why they are surprising, I knew they would be good and before the season started predicted they would win the tough Mt West conference, but I did not see a chance for them to beat the Oklahoma Sooners, but their defense has looked great and I am curious to see if they can ride the momentum the rest of the season. Now I am not a BYU fan, but if they go undefeated and Texas or USC lose, and the SEC teams beat up each other I see no reason why BYU should be left out of the National title game.
The teams that have not lived up to expectations are Florida State and Oregon. I can understand Oregon losing to Boise State because Boise is a solid team, but the way they lost was embarassing (only scoring 8 points?) and then the following week struggling to beat Purdue at home.
The game of the week everyone was looking forward to was USC vs. Ohio State. I was impressed with Ohio State's effort. I felt that USC would win by about 14 points, but they had to work extra hard to leave Columbus with the victory. I am not giving Ohio State any extra points for playing with USC though, if you are to be considered amongst the best you can't just play with them for four quarters, you have to win those games especially when you are at home, and Ohio State still has not proven that they can win the big games.
The best game of the week had to be Georgia Tech vs. Clemson on Thursday night, a great rivalry in the south. I love watching the triple option, and Georgia Tech looks excellent at running it against skilled defenses. I was even more impressed with Clemson's toughness to not fold after being behind 24-7 at halftime. The Tigers climbed back into the game to take the lead, before falling 30-27. Georgia Tech gets to play another Thursday night game this week at Miami. I am looking forward to this one. Only four days away.
No comments:
Post a Comment